Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Scallops Augratin and Corn & Potato Salad....OOHHH Yeah!

OOHHH YEAH dinner was GOOD tonight. Brought back an oldie from Mer Lu's Restaurant that Chad and I always enjoyed and concocted a new side dish. It was AMAZING. You have got to try these two recipes... If you don't try any other recipe you see in this blog... well yeah you'd be missing out, but tonight's recipe is full blown YUM.

Scallops Au gratin isn't hard to make at all. Preheat you oven to 375 degrees. Spray down you souffle dishes or casserole dish with Pam. Place your scallops(about 4 sea each if you are using 4 inch diameter souffle dish) into your baking dish and set aside. In a separate bowl take 1/2 cup of flax and add 1/4 tsp salt, 1/8 tsp pepper, and a pinch or so of rosemary, now mix it together. Garlic is always an important ingredient so sprinkle some fresh minced garlic on top of the scallops and then cover with the flax mixture. Spray the top of the Flax with Pam Cooking spray and then top with a couple of tbs of Cheddar Cheese. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until cheese starts to brown. Serve with sliced lemon if you would like. Makes 2 servings.

For my Corn and Potato Salad I took red, white and blue fingerling potatoes and diced them. I cooked them in a 2 cup glad container for 3 minutes in the microwave and set aside to cool. Then I cut corn off the cob (I bought a bunch the other day and have to use it up) and cooked that in the microwave for 2 minutes with just a little bit of water at the bottom of the bowl. Drained the corn. Mixed the corn and potato together, and added some Italian Dressing. Chopped up some fresh chive and rosemary, garlic and onion (minced). This is where it really began to have great flavor. I then added some bacon bits, and a few sun dried tomatoes. This was like heaven in my mouth. So tasty. Chad loved it and is still raving.

I have always liked to cook. I seem to excel in the kitchen. It is my song and dance... truly. There is a rhythm to every movement and a correct timing and step, a spin here and a twist there. Everything comes down to timing. As you may have figured out I seldom use measuring cups or spoons. I am the conductor at the podium and the food my symphony. I direct where everything goes, how loud or soft that flavor should be and whether or not it belongs in the song. One thing goes in the oven and plays quietly in the back ground while I begin a new transition in my minuet of food preparation. In the end...it seems... there is a cheer, an applause, and a standing ovation in approval for the culinary masterpiece I have created. I feel pride and I know tomorrow I will write another song in my kitchen. I, as usual, will put my all into pleasing my audience and make it look effortless. It for me is a love and a joy. I never fail here, because this is my stage and I have fans. Well at least 3 of them anyway (not including myself).


No comments:

Post a Comment