Thursday, September 3, 2009

Black Bean Cakes.... HEY IT IS THE ONLY CAKE I CAN HAVE!!!!

Great News!!!! I LOST 5 POUNDS this week!!!! I am feeling very pumped right now. Can I get a whoop whoop???? (very loud now...1..2..3..."WHOOP WHOOP"!!!) Great job. I love having my own little cheering squad.

I have decided to make Black Bean Cakes for dinner tonight. It is, of course, a vegetarian dish and taste a little south of the border. I have not had them in a long time but I do love them. How are they made you maybe asking. Well I take a can of black beans. I mush up 1/2 of the can of beans in a bowl so it makes like a paste. Add about 3 tbs of chopped up onion, 1 clove of chopped garlic, 1 tbs chopped cilantro, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4tsp pepper, some Cheyenne pepper, and 1 egg white. I stir all this up and well here is the part I am changing. Usually you add 1/4 cup four to this mixture but in trying to keep it low carb and using a carb that takes extra energy to break it down I am using rolled oats and some corn meal to replace that flour. I also like to add a little bit of shredded carrot. Mix that all together and add the rest of the black beans. Mix one more time and then cover and refrigerate for a little bit.
Now to cook these you need a little oil. Using olive oil is the best. So put about 1/4 oil into a small saute pan and begin to heat. Take the bean mixture and make into patties. when oil is hot put in your patties and cook until crisp and then flip to cook the other side. When they are finished cooking put them onto a paper towel lined plate and get rid of the excess oil.
while bean cakes are setting time to get your plate ready. I put a pile of lettuce in the middle of my dinner plate, then set one of the bean cakes on top. garnish with sour cream (however I am using nonfat plain yogurt) and salsa. It may not look pretty but it is tasty.

Sweating. I hate sweating. I hate the tickle it gives me as it runs down my face and the sting as it runs into my eyes. Of course where there is sweat there is body odor. Whew!!! smells like old onions. I hate feeling salty and sticky. So why is something so vial so necessary? It does make sense that if your body excretes water that you will feel cooler. When it is a hot day, sweat covers your body and then that small almost unnoticeable breeze comes along and whoosh... a little cool blow across your face. That is pleasant. I can handle that... moving on, but to really sweat comes some sort of exercise or work. I do know why I put the word "or" there, because to me and I am sure millions of others across the land, exercise is work. I wonder what makes a perfectly sane person get home from work, and hop on a treadmill only to work some more? As for the smell... ewe... that is the worst! (okay I am sure there are worse things but not in this post). I don't like it when I stink and I really hate smelling others who stink. Very unpleasant. Stick up anyone???

Out here every year the Iron man Triathlon takes place. It is kind of amazing to watch. They start by swimming 2 miles across the ocean, bike 112 miles and then run 26.2 miles back to the starting point. People take part in this event from all over. For example Chad has been one of the massage therapists to treat athletes as they cross the finish line for the past 4 years and the kids and I help out at his station. There are probably 100 stations on the whole route where people give out water and power bars or any aid they can offer these athletes. We have worked with people from all over the USA, Japan, and Europe... it is amazing. What is most difficult to wrap my brain around is how the athletes do it. The ages of these athletes run from 18 to up in the 90's. I can not begin to figure out what makes these athletes do what they do. Most won't win the car, money or fame that is waiting there at the end. What drives these people? and what makes them continue to do it in there 90's? Do they hate sweating like I do? What about the pain they endure? Most, once they have stopped racing, can't even walk past the finish line. They get stung my jelly fish in the ocean and get massively sun burn. Why? Why? Why? Awe those Iron men and women.... brave... strong and maybe delusional. HAHAHA. That is the only thing that makes sense to me.... they must be crazy too. Just differently than I.

So what I am getting out of all of my rambling is this.... Yes I hate sweat. Yes it is unpleasant but good for me. No I have not met a fat Iron man or woman (I just realized this) it takes sweat to burn fat and calories. To get sweat you have to have some sort of exercise and yes that means to loose weight you have to work at it. The last thing that I have just realized in rereading this post is maybe being a little crazy is good because I am now sure that you have to be somewhat crazy to exercise everyday for at lease an hour and a lot crazy to make a living out of becoming a triathlete.

Give the black bean cakes a whirl.... like sweat... not very pretty... but good.

No comments:

Post a Comment