Monday, September 14, 2009

French VS Wendy

So now the rest of the story. I am putting in this recipe after I have written the blog below. I made a recipe from my daughters french cookbook and well the results were ugly and wonderful. It was the most delicious steak I have had in a very long time, However due to my complete stupidity I walked away with a now useless hand. Keep reading you will find out why I say this.

I made Cote De Boeuf Compote d'Oignon. In English: Beef Rib W/onion sauce. However I did not have the rib so good old steak took it's place. So you take 1 large steak of choice and cut it in half. Dry the steak with paper towel and then rub in Montreal seasoning. Set aside for a half our. In the meantime slice up 1 large red onion into rings. Place into a medium sized sauce pan with 2 tablespoons butter. Cook until onions become soft. Then add 1 tsp thyme, 1/2 red wine, 1/2 cup beef broth and 2 tbs of raspberry jelly (seedless). Cook. Now like Julia Child's I love wine in my food and found a 1/2 cup was not enough so another couple of splashes of that and some salt to taste.
Now that the beef has sat it is now time to cook it. put a TBS of butter in the pan and put heat on high. Sear the beef on each side for 1 minute each. Then place into a 450 degree oven. (By the way the oven should have been preheated and you should use a pan that can go from stove to oven) Then allow to roast for 5-8 minutes or desired color. Let cool for 5 minutes on a wooden cutting board. Now here is where I went so wrong.... I looked at that lovely pan of drippings and thought that would make the onion sauce so much better. I forgot that I had just taken that pan out of the oven and picked it up. That handle was still in the 400degree area and seared my hand pretty good. To be honest the last time I had pain like that I was having gallbladder attacks. So I guess the french won this battle however its victory was ooohhhhh so delicious. We served it sliced and with the onion sauce generously drizzled over the top with a side of corn on the cob. By the way this incident did not make my day less wonderful. :)
I am in an extremely peaceful place. Where this calmness has come from I do not know but it is very worthy of mention. I seldom have this quiet feeling deep down inside. Maybe that darned cold that has left my system or the extra sleep I had last night has something to do with it. Maybe the four mile walk yesterday and working through situations be it with my husbands sweet advice and support or blogging and my readers input. Where ever this great feeling has come from I hope it sticks around.

So as usual I woke up today about 6:00 a.m. Watched a little Judge Karen and then on the move. Made Wyatt a Cheese and egg sandwich while Kylann politely snatched a piece of homemade focassia bread. I am extremely envious of my kids right now. There is nothing more that I would like to sneak than that light, puffy, herbed and buttered floury goodness. Focassia is (I swear) bread from the heavens and carbs from the devil all mixed together so you can not help but be temped. Way into Heaven? Resist with all your might even when it is coming hot out of the oven. If you can do this you are an angel and worthy of that cute black dress on the mannequin that you have been ogling for the last 2 weeks. "Hey God if you are out there listening I have two words...HINT... HINT". Alas I have not earned my wings this week. When I wasn't feeling good. I had a sore throat and stuffy nose. I had a slice of pizza and a piece of focassia bread. Good news I didn't gain weight but I am only where I was a week ago. Can't complain nor pat myself on the back. So after breakfast is made onto packing lunch, then gathering the laundry, getting the kids to do their newly assigned choirs, showers, and out the door. Drop off Wyatt to school, then to the laundry mat. Wash wash wash, fold fold fold. Run chad to work, go to the bank, pick up ky, GO SHOPPING!!!!! Hey I needed cheese and milk. Lunch at panda for steamed veggies and mushroom chicken. Wow I still have time left. Go to borders with Kylann. Ky is so much like me. She and I went to check out the cookbooks because to us this is fun reading. Hey if you can't eat it you can still read it... no calories that way. We each picked one off the bargain shelf and again begin our running. As we drive off Ky opens her book on french cooking and excitement in a giggle exits her body like a sweet song. Cooing and ahhing. This is where the part of me comes into play. She will be an excellent cook someday. She is already on her way. Then GOOD NEWS!!! Chad has 2 new clients. This is so important because he was beginning to have too much free time and not enough work. So off we are running lunch up to Chad and then home to do school and blogging. Soon I must go to pick up Wyatt from school, the pool to get some exercise, make supper and my list continues until bed. Still What a Glorious day.

No comments:

Post a Comment